Monday, May 12, 2008

Poundcakes

A while back, a friend gave me an Amish bread starter. We've gone a tad overboard with it at our house, to put it mildly. I discovered that you can either make two large loaves (six mini) and four starters, or four large (twelve mini) and two starters, or six large (eighteen mini) and no starters. You're baking these poundcakes every ten days, so this adds up fast! Fortunately you can also freeze the starters, if you've run out of space in your freezer and already given tons away.

Here are some of the kinds I've made:
  • butterscotch
  • butterscotch with white chocolate chips
  • marble (chocolate and vanilla swirled)
  • chocolate
  • chocolate with chocolate chips
  • chocolate with white chocolate chips
  • chocolate with mint chips
  • chocolate with peanut butter chips
  • chocolate with caramel
  • oreo
  • cheesecake with cranberry
  • vanilla
  • vanilla with strawberry chunks
  • vanilla with chocolate chips
  • vanilla with swirly chips
  • vanilla with Kissables (mini Kisses with a candy shell)
  • vanilla with caramel chips
  • pistachio
  • banana
  • banana with nuts
  • lemon
  • carrot, complete with cream cheese frosting

I have given these to my coworkers, parents, friends, Jax's teachers, and TM'ers. Right now, the freezer is beyond full because I made a few last week (34 mini and 1 large, to be exact). They are really yummy! I'm planning on giving a bunch to family and friends we're visiting next week.

A friend's review: "Those were the most amazing cakes I have ever eaten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I love cake :) "

No comments: