Tuesday, June 17, 2008

More bread flavors

Looking through my Complete Baking cookbook, there are a lot of types of bread I think I can adapt to the Amish friendhsip bread, which I think I may have to start up again because we're down to only about a dozen mini loaves left in the freezer right now. Here are some I'd like to try:

  1. Raspberry crumble - add fresh raspberries and grated lemon rind, then for the crumble top use 1 oz finely chopped nuts (I think I'll do granola instead), 2 oz brown sugar, 3 tbsp flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 3 tbsp melted butter
  2. Blueberry
  3. Apple cranberry - orange juice (maybe in place of some of the milk?), cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, 1-2 apples, 6 oz cranberries (craisins); dust with powdered sugar
  4. Pumpkin - 8 oz pumpkin, nutmeg, currants or raisins
  5. Maple pecan - maple syrup and toasted pecans with pecan halves on top
  6. Cherry marmalade - glacé cherries, orange marmalade, with marmalade brushed on top after they're baked
  7. Blackberry almond
  8. Orange and honey - use orange juice and grated orange rind
  9. Apple loaf - applesauce and currants or raisins
  10. Pineapple apricot - dried apricots, chopped crystallized ginger and pineapple, and grated lemon and orange rinds
  11. Apple apricot - dried apricots, 1 apple, grated rind and juice of an orange
  12. Pear and sultana
  13. Saffron and cardamon - plus honey and honey for brushing
  14. Bilberry - probably I'll use blueberries because I don't know where I'd find bilberries; top with 4 oz sugar, 1 1/2 oz flour, cinnamon, and 2 oz butter cut into all that

No comments: