Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Belgian-style cooking

When we were in the Quad Cities last month, my grandma bought me a Belgian cookbook. After flipping through it, I noticed that Belgian cooking seems to consist of the following: butter, beer, and deep-frying. Using that as my guide, I made a batch of Flemish sloppy joes. Well, actually, I was making sloppy joes and the beer I was drinking (Flying Dog) was disgusting but I didn't want to waste it, so I poured it in. What I ended up with tasted nothing like sloppy joes, so we've decided to call them loosebeermeat sandwiches. I think this is how I did it.
Loosebeermeat Sandwiches
  1. Sauté an onion in butter.
  2. Add 2 lbs ground beef and 2 lbs sausage; brown slightly.
  3. Add half a bottle ketchup, a bottle of beer, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 c brown sugar, 3 tsp or so Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp vinegar, and 1 tsp dry mustard. Maybe some white wine too? (All measurements are approximate)
  4. Simmer for an hour or so, tasting occasionally.

We froze a bunch of it because it was too much for us to eat all at once. It makes probably 20 sandwiches. To reheat, thaw in fridge overnight and heat slowly on the stove.

No comments: