Saturday, March 19, 2011

Egg yolks

It being my birthday, I made myself my favorite cake - angel food. Marbled angel food, which means two cakes. Two dozen egg whites needed, and two dozen egg yolks left over.

James's birthday is about two weeks after mine, so I froze half the yolks to use for a couple yellow cakes for him (well, one for him and one for the kid to take into daycare). That left a dozen egg yolks left. I know they're cheap, but I hate to just throw them away. I thought about making mayonnaise for chicken salad sandwiches, but that's a lot of work and I probably won't even eat all of the chicken salad, seeing as how I usually forget to eat lunch and/or dinner most days.

So, what to do with all those egg yolks? Ice cream! I don't have an ice cream maker, or a candy thermometer, but it still turned out pretty good.

Vanilla Ice Cream
Pour 4 c heavy whipping cream and 1 c milk into a pan with some vanilla and heat up. Meanwhile, mix 4-6 egg yolks with 1/2 c sugar. When the milk is hot, whisk the egg mixture into it, then mix in 1 c sugar. Cook over medium-low heat until it reaches 170 degrees, or it sticks to a spoon, or you're sick of cooking it. Pour into a shallow 9x13 freezer-proof pan and stick in the freezer. Every hour or so, stir it up so it won't form crystals. Et voilá - ice cream that is much yummier than anything from the store.

No comments: