Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Spicy vodka plum chicken

I'm usually hesitant to try out a new recipe, and when I do, I don't follow it exactly. I have some oranges and plums to use in the next few days and was searching for an orange-glaze chicken recipe when I came across this. It calls for green onions, but I didn't have any so I left them out. I wasn't sure about it until I took a bite - delicious! And of course I made enough sauce (mixed it together in a dish before adding some to the drippings) that I can freeze some and marinate chicken in it later. This was a wonderful combination of sweet and spicy, plus the addition of the vodka in the jam I think made it even yummier.

Spicy vodka plum chicken
some Chinese five spice powder
several pieces of chicken
1/2 c plum jam (I made my own in the bread machine, of course - 4 plums, 2 tbsp pectin, 1 c sugar, and 1/2 c vodka)
1/2 c chicken broth
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Heat a little oil in a skillet. Coat the chicken in the Chinese five spice powder. Cook the chicken in the pan until done; set aside. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan drippings and cook until thickened. Put the chicken back in, coat it in the sauce, and cook for a few minutes. Serve over rice.

No comments: